Massive blaze sparked by poorly-planned welding work

Massive blaze sparked by poorly-planned welding work

The flames were caused by a fire sparked during welding work on a gas main in Leeds.

Six houses were evacuated, major roads closed and gas supplies were cut off because of the huge blaze on 3rd September 2010.

Basic safety measures had been neglected during the installation of a new section of gas mains were being installed.

Northern Gas Networks Operations Ltd (NGNO) known as United Utilities at the time of the incident and Morgan Sindall (Infrastructure) plc were in court to face charges to offences under s3(1) of the HSWA 1974.

HSE Inspector Ian Redshaw said "There were numerous failings by both companies in the planning, organisation and execution of the work - most importantly, the failure to consider and control the risks associated with welding near live gas mains."

NGNO Ltd was fined £35,000 and £8453 in costs. Morgan Sindall (Infrastructure) plc was fined £50,000 and £12,900 costs.

 


Health & Safety solutions available on any internet enabled device.

See more of our features